Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Starting Google Apps

How to sign up and start using Google Apps is well documented on line. If you want to get started visit http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new. Use your existing domain or create a new domain. Follow the instructions

What is interesting is how you set up your Google Apps. If you use the Premier addition you can continue to use Outlook to read and write you email and calendar. However, if your Going Google I recommend you move to the web interface for its ease of use and constant feature upgrade.

I use my Google Apps Gmail account to consolidate all of my email accounts into a single web interface http://lifehacker.com/376367/consolidate-multiple-email-addresses-with-gmail.

Even with Multiple Email accounts consolidated on a single Gmail account, you can send your email from the separate accounts from within Gmail. However, choose your default address wisely because a quick email will be addressed from your default account.

I had one problem. My ISP, ROGERS wouldn't allow me to use their SMTP address to send email via Gmail. I had to sign up to a SMTPtoGo.com account and use that to send my ISP emails using my ISP email address. Easy fix and it works great.

Now I had my new business domains and all of my personnel email addresses consolidated into one Gmail account with individual account control for sending and receiving. My email was now assessable from any internet connected computer on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment